Saturday, March 30, 2013

Society

Ah, to go against the dictates of society to be one's true, authentic, and soulful Self. As Jean Shinoda Bolen observes, “You have the need and the right to spend part of your life caring for your soul. It is not easy. You have to resist the demands of the work-oriented, often defensive, element in your psyche that measures life only in terms of output -- how much you produce -- not in terms of the quality of your life experiences. To be a soulful person means to go against all the pervasive, prove-yourself values of our culture and instead treasure what is unique and internal and valuable in yourself and your own personal evolution.” This is an evolutionary process. The closest some people get to this point may be in their retirement years, and by then most of life will be behind them. Why wait until the autumn of your life to begin to live? Now is your “spiritunity” to begin. You can begin making constructive changes to allow for quality of life.

I once worked in the corporate, dog-eat-dog world. The more corruption that surrounded me, the more it started to consume me. I didn't like the person I was becoming, and I knew that if I didn't make some serious changes for my own sanity, safety, health and life, then I would be overtaken by its dark side. I took a drastic measure. I quit. I had no other job lined up. I took a big chance. I walked out into the wilderness of the unknown, one step of faith at a time. And I saved my life. This is not to say that you are to quit your job, your spouse, or anything else that is not feeding your spirit. I did what I had to do for myself. For some it may be a matter of re-examining priorities and making positive decisions to bring about the change that is needed. Will uncertainty lurk around the corner? Yes. Will there be discomfort at times? Most likely. But the sweet scent of freedom will encourage you to keep going. It did for me.

It doesn't matter what society thinks about you. Society will think what it will think, no matter what. There is no need to defend your actions to those who don’t care about your personal or spiritual growth. When you take a stand against the demands of the pervasive cultural rot, you take a stand for your evolving authentic self. You take a stand for freedom rather than slavery. And that's more important than anything society can offer.

No comments:

Post a Comment