Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Lemons or Lemonade?

When life hands you lemons, make lemonade.  So cliche, but true.

My A/C unit decided to die on what's going to be one of the hottest days of the year. 97 degrees. It was already 81 degrees when I woke up this morning. The central air unit is running, but the fan is kaput. So, off with the whole system until service arrives...whenever that will be.

Some people would make a big deal out of this by bemoaning the situation only to add to the misery. I'm going to make an even bigger deal out of it. I'm taking this lemon and squeezing it to make some of the best lemonade possible.

I'm throwing a sprinkler party.

Yup.  Slip-and-slide included.

Rather than shift into a "woe is me" attitude, today is my opportunity to let out the kid in me.

When I was a kid, my generation created a brand of fun that is defunct today...like my A/C unit. Video games did not exist. The TV had maybe five channels in black and white with no remote. A computer?  What the heck was that? But we could turn anything into a playground. Graveyards for flashlight tag. Dirt mounds for King-of-the-Mountain. The backyard for camping adventures. The railroad tracks and woods for exploring. We saw opportunities everywhere and life was magical.

It's time to create that magic today.

The sprinkler is set up. I found a roll of plastic in the shed. The beach towels are in a basket, ready to use.  Fresh fruit is chilling along with gallons of sweet tea. And friends are joining in. It's a great day to be a kid again.  It's a great day, period.

Now that's what I call some good old fashioned lemonade.


No comments:

Post a Comment