Thursday, August 15, 2013

Breaking Bad - Living The Authentic Life

Albert Einstein said, "Well, I have considered myself to be very fortunate in that I have been able to do mostly only that which my inner self told me to do… I am also aware that I do receive much criticism from the outside world for what I do and some people actually get angry at me. But this does not really touch me because I feel that these people do not live in the same world as do I."

Amen, Uncle Al!

When we begin to live the authentic life, some seemingly unpleasant things start to happen around us.

First, there's shock. She's doing WHAT! I can't believe this!

Then the whispers start. Hey, did you hear about her? What does she think she's doing? Who does she think she is? Has she lost her mind?

For those who are not yet self-actualized, such comments are taken personally, spawning the need to defend oneself to those who are unwilling to change their minds about us.

Then, people with whom you've long associated yourself begin to caution and challenge you. You're making a big mistake! This is not like you! How can you do this! And worse yet, How can you do this to ME!

They challenge you because they don't understand why you would decide to make changes (and many times, changes that don't include them), after all this time.

They try to get you to second guess yourself. You'll never change. 

They hurl doubt and fear your way. You'll be sorry when this doesn't work out for you.

They also throw bolts of anger at you because you are "breaking bad" -- you no longer fit their definition of who you are supposed to be in their minds. You've broken away like it's a horrible thing.

The self-actualized person, the one who lives his or her life authentically, no matter what anyone says, isn't "touched" (as Uncle Al said) or fazed by such antics.

Instead, the person who breaks bad in the eyes of others is actually breaking through to his or her authentic self. It means to break past barriers that once held you back. It means to break down old ways of thinking that once made you feel trapped. It means to break new ground within yourself.

Breaking bad is radical. It's going to shake up others' beliefs about you. They will see you in a much different light, and it won't always be favorable.

Breaking bad is revolutionary. It's going to stir others' emotions about you. They will feel uneasy around and unsure about you because you dare to defy and to break long-held expectations. Some will rise up against you to try to put you back in a place where they feel you belong, and others will rise up for and with you to help you move forward toward personal success.

Breaking bad is real. It's going to expose the true you to others who won't know how to handle the new you because you refuse to be defined by others for their convenient purposes.

And you will be empowered because there is nothing anyone can do to stop you from being you.

Regardless of the whispers, the accusations, the insults, the ridicule, and the taunts, the authentic person who breaks bad refuses to live a mundane life of mediocrity. S/He becomes a take-charge person, seizing every moment of life for meaning and purpose.

Confident. Daring. Inspirited. Bad-Ass. That's what it takes to live the authentic life.

What has it taken for you to break bad into the authentic life? And what have you experienced from others as you were breaking through?


8 comments:

  1. You are so clever! Great post!

    Most people you are currently aligned with will feel a bit uncomfortable when you raise in vibration and the natural "pulling apart" takes place.

    Some times, their anger or hostility is actually the fact that you raised them a bit on the Emotional Guidance Scale too.

    At any rate, as you said, it is best to be your authentic self and continue to be the best you can be.

    :-)

    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kathy! That is an awesome point that you made about the anger and hostility in others occurring because we raised them a bit on the EGS. And when we know this, their anger and hostility doesn't faze us for we know what is truly happening and therefore we have no need to take their anger and hostility so personally.

      Thanks so much for your insight and comments!
      Pen

      Delete
  2. Hi Penny,

    Wow, another fab blog...you definitely have the gift of saying it perfectly. I love the way you bring it home with such grace and lightness.
    I would love to chat with you and see how we might help and support each other. My email is wendy@wendybaudin.com.

    Namaste,
    Wendy Baudín
    Self-Love Sherpa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Wendy! I guess that comes from being a teacher. When I approach information, I think of the audience and how to best present that information so the audience can fully benefit from it. I appreciate your comments! I will email you.

      Delete
  3. It amazes me how many years it takes to feel comfortable in ones own skin. Once you finally begin to discover the real you and feel comfortable life is so much easier. Great post!! Thanks for the visit to my blog.

    Kathy
    http://gigglingtruckerswife.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kathy! Yes, life is so much better when we are in our own skins and not in someone else's version of it. Thanks for stopping by and commenting!

      Delete
  4. I think I broke bad when I moved to Ireland. A couple of people were negative about it, no one in my family, however. I never looked back or had any doubt. I used to care what other people thought and if I took a perceived miss-step I agonised over it. So nice to just be who I am now and not care. Love that saying, what other people think about me is none of my business. Thanks for another great blog, Pen.

    ReplyDelete
  5. When we break out of the confines of other's expectations, suddenly we are the bad guy because we are breaking away from people or situations that no longer serve our highest good. When we "break bad" we are perceived as disrupting the status quo in other people's minds. Too bad! We are here to live our lives authentically, and if it means moving to Ireland, or trekking through the Himalayas for months on end, or living in a tree house, then so be it in the name of our higher self. Thanks for commenting! It's true,...what others think about me is none of my business. :)

    ReplyDelete