Wednesday, November 6, 2013

Peeling Back The Layers

Day 5 of 29 Days of Spiritual Messages.

Today's passage is an excerpt from Mary Hayes-Grieco's book The Kitchen Mystic.

For many, the onion is simply an edible bulbous plant, the Allium cepa, that is usually white, yellow, or red, and is composed of fleshy, tight, concentric leaf bases having a pungent odor and taste.

And let's not forget that it can make us cry.

But for others, onions carry their own special brand of divinity.

So, let's chop into this passage:

"I see God in onions. I always have. I remember when I first saw my mother slicing into an onion when I was about six. I stopped my playing, awestruck. What is this vegetable that is so pure, so watery-white, so many-layered in concentric rings that make mounds of perfect circles as they fall open onto the cutting board? I begged her to let me cut some, despite her warning that it would make my eyes burn. I can remember the concentration and reverence welling up within me as I awkwardly tried to make perfect slices. My eyes did burn and I had to stop after a few cuts, but I vowed that I would understand onions some day and cook with them myself."

One of my favorite aromas while cooking is the smell of onions sauteing in butter. It's a smell that fills the entire house, making it feel like a home.

But one must go beyond the simple act of slicing and sauteing an onion to the core of this passage.

When we awaken to the Divine, we see that it exists everywhere. In this case, God exists in the lowly onion. Not many people would consider the Divine in an onion. Most would look to a church or temple or to some "religious" artifact. But this passage begs the question, "Well, why can't we search for God in an onion?" The answer is, we can. There is no law that states that we can't. The onion is simply a starting place.

When the Divine makes Itself known, it grabs our attention. We stop our "playing" -- our pretending -- and we suddenly awaken to something that is so powerfully awesome. We take notice of its Design, though we may not fully understand it, especially as we begin our spiritual journey. We see its purity and its perfection. Beneath the surface, we come to see layer upon layer in this Sacred Design, giving us pause for reflection about its existence and meaning and our place in this Divine Design. We wonder, How do I fit into all of this, if I do?

When the Divine reveals Itself, we find ourselves on a quest. Our focus switches from one of "playing" to one of deep "concentration and reverence." A shift happens. We try to approach the Divine with methods and thinking that are outdated, that can not and will not serve us on our new path.

Cutting into the Sacred -- trying to slice it and dice it to make it fit into one pan of spirituality -- comes with the "warning" that we are to approach it carefully and mindfully. We "awkwardly [try] to make perfect slices" only to find our "eyes" -- our ego, our old ways -- burning because we are trying to look through old lenses, when we need to see with renewed eyes, ones that will lead us to a deeper, richer spiritual understanding.

When the Divine burns this new truth into us, we come to appreciate its Mystery. We realize that the Sacred can't and won't be contained in any one object, not a church, not a temple, not an onion. The Divine is never the thing and the thing is never the Divine. These objects are merely starting places; they point us further in the direction of the Divine.

When we embrace the Divine Mystery, we enter into Sacred Relationship. This relationship turns intimate and personal, and we vow to grow it through the many spiritual practices available to us. We become active partners with Spirit as we team up to "cook," co-creating a new life together, as One.

Now that's something worth shedding tears.

Blessings.


10 comments:

  1. How I love allium! Layers upon layers!
    My Massage Mentor used the image of an onion as a descriptor for"peeling away" layers of pain for our clients over a series of sessions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Dia!

      That is a great way to approach healing in massage therapy! It would probably work great as a visualization, too.

      Thank you for dropping in and commenting.
      Blessings.
      Penny

      Delete
  2. Onions resemble our body's cells and help clear waste materials from all of the body cells. They even produce tears, which wash the epithelial layers of the eyes so that our vision becomes clear again.

    Thank you Penny!
    Healthy blessings,
    Gena

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Gena!

      Onions are such wonderful gifts in many ways, aren't they? I didn't realize that they wash away the epithelial layers of the eyes...huh. That's pretty cool.

      Blessings.
      Penny
      xoxo

      Delete
  3. Hi Penny. I use EFT and other energy therapies and I find that the peeling away of the layers of a lifetime's worth of limiting beliefs and emotions pretty much like peeling an onion. You peel away layers and eventually get to the truth underneath. Another great analogy post; love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Andrea.

      Indeed. EFT is a wonderful therapy to use. I know it helps me.

      Gotta love onions :)
      Blessings.
      Penny

      Delete
  4. Your right digging down into your personal issues its like cutting into an onions...I can remember the first time you perform reiki on me...I was uncontrollable crying...as I was holding it back n you told me let it go.its ok BC it needed to come out..n even when I was driving home I felt a lil bit more come out...even during that week I was still crying...I think if I can remember I cried for a week here n there. And I remember you saying it was normal n continue to let it out. Bc we touched on TONS of personal touchy issue...it was an amazing journey ...n still is...what a great experience it was...n it continues to be...peace n love my friend. .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I remember it very well. You had been holding so much in, all those blockages from your past, and Reiki opened things up so you could flow. It was a beautiful, beautiful moment, my friend.

      Blessings.
      Penny

      Delete
  5. Hi Penny,

    I find my yoga and martial arts training much like the onion. Both practices reveal layers of self and expose what is and what is not. Sometimes, tears flow. In return, strength grows.

    xo
    Peggy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amen, Peggy.

      There's nothing like some type of sacred movement exercises to expose who we are...we get to our essence.

      Blessings.
      Penny

      Delete