Thursday, September 11, 2014

Butterfly As Spiritual Metaphor

Spiritography Day 9: Imaging the Sacred in Everyday Life

For the past three days, butterflies have been making their presence known wherever I go. It's like they're following me. One was even daring enough to make full contact with me when it landed on my arm during a contemplative moment. So I gave it the attention it deserved.

It appeared so ethereal and fragile as its proboscis probed and tickled my skin. Its wings opened and closed in intervals, appearing paper thin one moment, and then on full display the next. I marveled at the life cycle of this little shape-shifter -- from a crawling, leaf-eating caterpillar to a fluttering, nectar-drinking butterfly.

Its metamorphosis represents our own spiritual transformation.

Like caterpillars, we crawl our way through life, doing our day-to-day activities. As we begin our inner journey, we enter into a chrysalis state, insulating ourselves in a dark inner sanctum where the environment is ripe for conversion. We pray. We meditate. We study spiritual truths. When we are ready to emerge, we break free from our confines, spread our wings, and fly as our true selves. We are renewed and reborn.

"Butterfly on Steel Cable" by Penny McDaniel
When my little winged friend finished, it lighted off of my arm almost as quickly as it had landed. It fulfilled its butterfly purpose, pollinating me with the presence of spirit. Though the butterfly lives only one to two weeks, it serves as a reminder to enjoy the present moment and to make the most of our lives before time runs out.

"Iron Butterfly" by Penny McDaniel

No comments:

Post a Comment