Friday, March 20, 2015

Is Your Body Your Friend?

Our biggest ally and supporter in life is our body.  It is the physical platform by which we accomplish things in life. When we align it with the present moment, and with our goals, values, and love, we create a solid foundation for success.
Sadly, our concept of something or someone being beautiful is grounded in a belief system that promotes judgment and duality. We let the external standards of youthful beauty and attractiveness define us as we buy into the false images the media and society tell us is the ideal body.  In this case, beauty depends on something being identified as ugly.
Our body is a living, intelligent, dynamic creation.  It supports our well-being when we make choices that honor it, not debase it.  It is our friend, willing and able to do what we ask of it. Why would we treat it as anything less?
Celebrate that you have this trusted friend with you at all times. Our body does not lie.
Consider the following quotes:
Here in this body are the sacred rivers: here are the sun and moon as well as all the pilgrimage places...I have not encountered another temple as blissful as my own body.  Saraha
Our body is precious.  It is our vehicle for awakening.  Treat it with care.  Buddha
There is deep wisdom within our very flesh, if we can only come to our senses and feel it.  Elizabeth A. Behnke
The body is a multilingual being.  It speaks through its color and its temperature, the flush of recognition, the glow of love, the ash of pain, the heat of arousal, the coldness of nonconviction. . . . It speaks through the leaping of the heart, the falling of the spirits, the pit at the center, and rising hope.  Clarissa Pinkola Estés
It is amazing how many hints and guides and intuitions for living come to the sensitive person who has ears to hear what his body is saying.  Rollo May
The body always leads us home . . . if we can simply learn to trust sensation and stay with it long enough for it to reveal appropriate action, movement, insight, or feeling.  Pat Ogden
For every thought supported by feeling, there is a muscle change.  Primary muscle patterns being the biological heritage of man, man's whole body records his emotional thinking.  Mabel Ellsworth Todd
Your emotions are your inner guidance system.  They alone will let you know whether you are living in an environment of biochemical health or in an environment of biochemical distress.  Understanding how your thoughts and your emotions affect every single hormone and cell in your body, and knowing how to change them in a way that is health-enhancing, gives you access to the most powerful and empowering health-creating secret on earth.  Christiane Northrup
Being in touch with our bodies, or more accurately, being our bodies, is how we know what is true.  Harriet Goldhor Lerner
To connect with our bodies is to learn to trust ourselves, and from that comes power.  Mirka Knaster

3 comments:

  1. I always had a horrible body image. It took me until my 40s to finally feel good about myself... it's funny. You know it's interesting when you turn a certain age and you say to yourself ok now is the time to finally get real about how you treat your body mind and spirit...
    So I'm realizing that my old way of eating and even thinking what I put in my body has changed. Even my taste buds have change to...I'm realizing that I have only one body and I need to take good care of it..... foods that I felt comfort me actually I can't eat any more... it's amazing but I know deep down I'm transition into something great....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Transformation will do that to you. The body is a temple...treat it like one because it is home to our Highest Self.

      Blessings.

      Delete
  2. I always had a horrible body image. It took me until my 40s to finally feel good about myself... it's funny. You know it's interesting when you turn a certain age and you say to yourself ok now is the time to finally get real about how you treat your body mind and spirit...
    So I'm realizing that my old way of eating and even thinking what I put in my body has changed. Even my taste buds have change to...I'm realizing that I have only one body and I need to take good care of it..... foods that I felt comfort me actually I can't eat any more... it's amazing but I know deep down I'm transition into something great....

    ReplyDelete